GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
For questions regarding the online submission process, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the submission of the abstract for the World Congress of Brachytherapy, the first (presenting) author:
• Accepts responsibility for the accuracy of the abstract and ascertains that all authors are aware of the content before submission,
• Accepts to be the contact person for all correspondence related to the abstract and to inform the co-authors about its status,
• Accepts to identify any financial interest in products or processes described in the abstract. This includes stock ownership, membership on any advisory boards, commercially sponsored research or any other substantial relationships,
• Certifies that the information to be reported is for exclusive presentation in the session to which the abstract will be assigned if accepted and that the information will not be presented as such at any commercially sponsored satellite symposia during the conference.
Abstracts must be submitted and presented at the conference in English. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to reject an abstract written in poor English.
Abstracts will be anonymised before review to ensure fairness and eliminate possible bias. Therefore it is strictly forbidden to include the authors’ names or institutions in the body of the abstracts. Submitted abstracts that include such references will be penalised by the Abstract Reviewing Committee.
• Topic category: choose the topic category that refers to the main subject of the abstract. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to re-categorise the abstract.
• Presentation preference: authors should indicate the presentation preference (oral, poster or no preference). Please note that the final decision on the presentation format rests with the Scientific Committee.
• Keywords: authors are required to provide 1 to 3 keywords (different from category).
• Title: abstract titles should be brief and reflect the content of the abstract. The title (maximum 100 characters) is important since it focuses attention (it is the “showcase” for the presentation). Do not use capital letters in the title except for words that are always capitalised and do not use non-standard abbreviations.
• Body of the abstract: abstracts should be structured in such a way as to include (1)Purpose/Objective; (2) Material/methods; (3) Results (4) Conclusion.
• The use of standard abbreviations is desirable. A special or unusual abbreviation must be placed (in round brackets) after the first appearance of the word for which it stands.
• The online abstract submission procedure will not accept abstracts that exceed 2500 characters (body of the abstract, excluding spaces).
• Authors can include one data table in the body of the abstract (this is not included in the number of characters)
• Authors can include one black and white image in JPG format. The maximum file size of each image should be 500 KB. The maximum pixel size of the image is 600(w) x 800(h) pixel. Colour illustrations will appear in black and white
• Equations can be inserted in the text as images (only JPG format).
• The preferred font is Verdana 7.
email@example.com within one week after submission of the abstract.
• If you need to edit your abstract at a later stage, please click ‘SAVE AND CLOSE’. This button allows you to update your abstract before final submission.
• Please note: after clicking ‘SAVE AND CLOSE’, your abstract is NOT submitted. You need to return to the abstract submission page, finalise your abstract and click ‘FINA L SUBMISSION’. After FINAL SUBMISSION changes are not possible. Careful typing and proofreading are essential, as the abstract will be published as submitted.
• Submitting an abstract for presentation does not constitute registration for the conference. Abstract presenters must register to attend the conference by following the instructions for online registration (www.estro-events.org/Pages/WCB2012.aspx).
• When finished with the online submission, click the ‘FINA L SUBMISSION’ button for the final submission of your abstract. As a confirmation of your submission, a message will appear on the screen informing you the abstract has been successfully submitted to our database. The first (presenting) author will receive an e-mail confirming that ESTRO has received the abstract. This confirmation of abstract receipt is NOT a notice of acceptance of your abstract. In case no confirmation from ESTRO is received, the presenting author should contact
ABSTRACT SELECTION PROCESS
Abstracts submitted for presentation will be reviewed by an international panel of experts in the field of the subject. Abstract review criteria are based on clarity, supporting data, scientific rigour, potential significance, interest in the topic chosen and innovation or usefulness. Research obviously not yet performed and results not yet obtained will be banned.
Abstracts will be selected for one of the following presentation formats:
• Oral presentation: the abstract is selected for oral presentation at any of the proffered paper sessions.
• Poster discussion session: a limited number of the abstracts will be selected for poster presentation. A chairperson will discuss the selected poster based on a short PowerPoint presentation sent in advance by the authors.
• Poster presentation: abstracts that have been selected for presentation in a poster format. The posters are grouped by topic and are displayed throughout the meeting.
Withdrawal of an abstract: abstracts submitted for the World Congress of Brachytherapy can be withdrawn until 10 February 2012. (To withdraw your abstract you should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org). After this date, withdrawal of abstracts is no longer possible. Abstracts selected for oral / poster discussion / poster presentation should be presented at the meeting. If the first (presenting) author cannot attend the conference, he / she should assign a replacement and inform the ESTRO office of the replacement as soon as possible.
Notification of outcome of abstract submission will be sent by email by end February 2012.
ABSTRACT TOPIC CATEGORIES